Personal Insurance

Motor Insurance

Next to your house, your car is probably your biggest and most expensive asset and having reliable short term insurance will give you the financial protection and peace of mind you need. The question is: what type of car insurance is right for you?

There are three basic types of Car Insurance available in South Africa:

  • Comprehensive Car Insurance
  • Third Party Fire and
  • Theft Insurance and Third Party cover only.

Comprehensive car insurance offers the most extensive cover, giving you cover for theft and hijacking, and loss or damage caused by accidents, fire and natural disasters like hail and floods. Comprehensive car insurance also covers you against claims by third parties where you are responsible for damage to their vehicle.

Third party, fire and theft insurance differs from Comprehensive cover only in that it does not provide cover for accidental damage to your vehicle, you would have to cover the repair or replacement costs of your own vehicle yourself.

Third party only cover is the cheapest of the three options, providing cover for any damage you may cause to someone else’s vehicle (the third party), and will cover the costs associated with the accidental death or injury of third parties involved in the same accident. This option does not cover you against loss or damage to your own vehicle caused by accidents, fire, theft of other insured perils.

Household Insurance

You can’t place a value on sentimental goods but it’s easy to underestimate the value of your house contents. We know that in the unfortunate event that something goes wrong, it could cost you dearly. We can offer you house contents cover to suit your needs, and provides you peace of mind, by covering your possessions in the event of an accident, burglary or loss.

The general content of your home typically includes:

  • Furniture, furnishings, carpets and rugs, linen, blankets, towels
  • Electrical items such as TV’s and DVD recorders
  • Clothes and shoes
  • Toys and sporting equipment
  • Handyman tools such as drills and saws
  • Gardening equipment

Building Insurance

Whether it is a home or flat that you let out, a holiday apartment you escape to during the year or the house you call your home, every building you own needs to be properly insured to protect you from the financial consequences of disasters such as fires, floods, landslides and explosions.

You should insure your property for the total amount it would cost to rebuild the structure if it were destroyed and remember that these costs go up all the time so it’s also a good idea to review your needs and cover every year. Read the following regarding the Pitfalls of Underinsurance…

All Risk Insurance

Items such as cellphones, laptops and iPads form an integral part of our day to day lives. Replacing it can be a big financial setback and if you are not insured, the cost to repair/replace these items could amount to a small fortune. Cellphones, laptops, iPads and high valued jewellery need to be specified under the All Risks Section to ensure cover.
General All Risk covers clothing and personal items you would wear or carry away from home.